Thursday, August 16, 2012

Underwater Mixed Media

This is a 2x4ft panel, mixed media painting- meaning that I have combined a variety of techniques and separate media layers to finally reach the completed painting.  I started out with the intention of building a large collage.  Starting with tissue paper layers, then photography, then acrylic paint as the last layer.  It did not go well...(sigh) as sometimes happens.  I worked on it and worked on it until I had to eventually admit to myself and anyone visiting the studio- "don't look at that- it's a disaster." 
After throwing it behind some other unfinished work for some months, I pulled it out and began to tear off the layers upon layers of colored tissue paper. I loved how it looked! It looked to me a bit like underwater currents.  Some of the layers had glitter on them- reminding me of how water glistens.  We have a theme~  the phoenix painting will be an underwater scene.  The finished painting is slightly more dramatic when viewing it in person.  You can see dimension.  I used stretched florist tape to interweave the feeling of underwater kelp.  I also used fluorescent acrylic to really highlight the beautiful colors of oceanic fish darting around. 
Once again, not a great picture of the painting, but hopefully another lesson on that ridiculous "making lemonade out of lemons" theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment