Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lake Michigan-Miller Beach

This painting was done from some composite shots taken at Miller Beach, Indiana.  Through the trees on the far left you can see the steel mills rusting away.  Usually the subject matter will dictate what my color palette will be, but with this painting, I decided on my range of colors first.  This is a fun way to change up how you paint.  Let me warn you to plan ahead, though.  It can get very confusing if you decide to use contrary colors- your brain (well, mine, anyway) just doesn't want to cooperate sometimes.  I make a little diagram that I look at while I paint to keep me on track...in other words, white=blue, brown= green, etc. I just map the painting out that way.
I did this painting after I moved to Louisville.  I guess I was kind of homesick for Lake Michigan.  Now, 5 years later I am totally southernized.  I love my Ohio River, but this painting always takes me back up north.

No comments:

Post a Comment