Thursday, August 23, 2012

Geraniums

What struck me about the geraniums that were the subject matter of this painting, was that the color just jumped out of a dank, dark corner and screamed for attention to passersby.  I had to take a picture, they were that spectacular.  You'll notice that the background falls away.  No need to focus on anything besides the wonderful complementary colors of red and green. 
The geraniums were on my neighbor's stoop.  Although we had our differences, they grew glorious geraniums...they also had a nice dog, well OK, I liked their kids, too. Back to painting...
I had this goal to paint every day.  I thought this was going to be fairly easy to do, as long as I allocated the time- no problem. Big Problem!  After a month or so, I just seemed to lose my passion for doing it, and everything I tried to paint flopped with a big thud.  I finally realized I was treating my art like a job, something I felt responsibility to, something I HAD to do...and that just didn't work for me.
So I stopped putting myself on a schedule and waited for inspiration to strike.  I tried not to worry- but it took about a month to actually feel like painting again.  Painting is a passion I have, and I found when I removed (even a portion) of that, I lost an integral part of a painting's success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment