Wednesday, August 22, 2012

From the Window

I had a beautiful view from my bedroom window looking directly into the upper branches of a mature tulip tree.  In the spring it would bloom with yellow blossoms and one time...I saw a indigo bunting looking right back at me from a branch. He apparently didn't want his picture painted, but the tree didn't mind at all.
I don't live there anymore but I have this painting to remind me of that tree.  I loved that tree, the neighbors- not so much. (I digress, sorry)
This painting is a 2x2 ft panel that truly sings with color.  When you play with color pairings, noting what happens to the strength of a color value when it is laid next to a high key complementing color- well, sometimes it takes your breathe away!  I never truly finish a painting until I wait about a day, and then lay in those hits of complementary colors to draw the eye in.  It's the surest way to turn an OK painting into an Oh My! painting...and I hope that it's an oh my in a good way~

No comments:

Post a Comment